Saturday, August 7, 2010

Will this variable speed control run this DC motor???

I would like to put a speed controlled, DC motor on my drill press so, obviously, I can control the speed (The motor I have now is AC). I found a DC motor that is a great fit but I don't know enough about electronics to figure out what else I would need to purchase.


I found a variable speed controller on ebay I am hoping someone can tell me if this will work after I PROPERLY wire the DC motor to it? Or are there other items I need to buy to properly run the motor and control its speed? Thanks.








http://answers.yahoo.com/question/;_ylt=鈥?/a>








http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI鈥?/a>Will this variable speed control run this DC motor???
The eBay listing decribes the control as a rheostat. That is just a variable resistor. It will not work to control a permanent magnet DC motor from an AC supply. It might work if you add the rectifier offered with the motor, but it would not be matched to the motor and probably wouldn't work very well. Even if it is fairly well matched, it is a crude method of control that will not provide very good performance and will produce a lot of heat. A DC motor will work best with an electronic speed control.





The top speed of the motor is 10,000 RPM. That is much too fast for an ordinary drill press. You should look for a motor with top speed equal to the motor you have now.Will this variable speed control run this DC motor???
I'm not sure how the wiring on drill presses are but if your other motor used AC current, you need to have the right power being supplied to it. Says on the website ';Can be powered from 120 VAC when a rectifier (sold separately) is used.'; So yeah you can use it but you would need a rectifier to convert from AC to DC current.
there are three type methods for control variable speed 1%26lt;armature control methods%26gt; 2%26lt;field control method%26gt; 3%26lt;variables supply voltage%26gt;
  • beauty
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment