Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is a controlled variable?

a variable that is not changedWhat is a controlled variable?
It's the variable which is removed/not added in the control group of an experiment. The experimental variable is what is being tested (by adding or taking it away) in the experimental group of an experiement. The control group is used as a standard for comparison with the experimental group.What is a controlled variable?
a controlled variable is a term that is used in a scientific expirement. like if you wonder if the roads paint is peeled off because of an ingredient then you would paint two identical sections of road with the two different types of paint... the two paints would be the controlled variable.
it is a number that can changes but is still a number u can controle
When doing an experiment, the control is the sample that is not messed around with. It provides a reference or baseline to see the differences in your experiment. As an example, here is a science project I did in 6th grade - I wanted to see if subjecting bean seeds to harsh conditions would affect the growth of the plant when the seed was planted. I dunked some in acid and then planted them, I subjected some to intense heat and then planted them, I subjected some to physical abuse and then planted them, etc etc. I also had to plant some bean seeds that I DIDN'T do anything to - just planted them normally, grew them normally. These plants whose seeds I did not mess with are called the control group, or my controlled variable. The resulting plants from un-abused seeds were the comparison plants to see the differences caused by seed abuse. I hope this makes sense. BTW would you believe that the bean seeds dunked in 60% sulfuric acid grew, although they were not as healthy as the control and they grew much slower. Sadly, the beans that were hit with a carbon-arc torch for 5 seconds did not even germinate. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment